Monday, June 22, 2009

Day 3 Whitewood, Sask to Branden, Man


Today's ride is dedicated to Daniel Hurtubuise and his friend Robert Carrier who we're killed last June just outside of Virden Manitoba while doing a cross country bike ride for Juvenile diabetes with Daniel's son and daughter. I passed that spot around noon today, a rather melancholy moment. His memory lives on as his cause has been taken by his wife and kids.

I can now say I have biked in all 10 provinces, having crossed the border around 9 AM today. I had a good tail wind about 60% of the time and took good advantage of it. A tail wind to a cyclist is like a friendly hand on your back giving you that extra push. I like to think that was Daniel's hand helping me along today.

The road was again excellent right up to 40 km west of Branden, where the paved shoulder disappeared so I was glad to get off the road.

Today's road kill CARnage included the same as yesterday plus a fox and a badger but this was tempered by seeing a herd of live deer plus a lone male.

A grain elevator to a prairie town has a lot in common with village cathedrals in Quebec: it is a predominant, towering structure that can be seen for miles, and nobody goes there any more, except the ones converted into flea markets!

Today's distance: 193.9 km.
Average speed: 25.2
Trip Distance to date: 377.1 km.

2 comments:

  1. A moment of silence for Daniel H. and Robert C. and all road kill!

    Did you stop in Dog River, SK? Ya I know it's fictional but there is a Dog river that runs near Rosemere, (actually riviere des chiens).

    Congrats on the 10 provinces milestone. Just 2 Territories to go.

    Don't bring home any fleas from the grain elevators!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are hundreds of Dog Rivers in Saskatchewan. I stopped in a restaurant on father's day and as a gift to all fathers they were giving away free boxes of lead sinkers. I guess thay haven't caught on to that there environmentalism stuff yet...

    ReplyDelete