Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 5 Portage La Prairie to Winnipeg

I made the right decision getting off the road early yesterday because the next 15 km. and another 40 km of the road to Winnipeg looked like this. It was sure a lot easier to get through this part with little traffic first thing in the morning than in the middle of the day. Summer weather is here and so are the west winds so the ride to Winnipeg was relatively easy.

I arrived at the home of my hosts Gyula and Esther at 10:30 a.m. leaving me plenty of time for laundry and a power nap. I met Esther at a conference we hosted at McGill a month ago.

Today's ride is dedicated to my wife Madeleine as we start our 20th year of wedded bliss. I am fortunate to be married to someone who is so supportive of my crazy bike trip and I am doubly lucky that she and my daughters derive great pleasure in my absence... ...hmm that didn't sound right...

More good weather on the way, Ontario now in my sights.

Today's ride: 92.7 km.
Average speed: 24.1
Trip distance to date: 590.2 km.

2 comments:

  1. You were in my dreams last night. Hugh used one of your tools to clamp a bike wheel of mine and bent the rim. Wonder where that came from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The equipment I am using is a lot less prone to breakdowns that what we use to ride with. So far so good...

    W.

    ReplyDelete