Thursday, June 25, 2009

Day 6 Winnipeg to Kenora Ont



Today was a day of milestones starting with earliest departure time. I rolled out of Winnipeg when there was just a touch of daylight at the beginning of what turned out to be a dandy summer day. About 30 km. east of Winnipeg I passed the longitudinal mid point of Canada. I also put the prairies behind me and passed through mixed agricultural landscape, boreal forest and finally lake country where I got to climb some hills.

Early afternoon I put Manitoba behind me. It will surely take a few more than 4 days to cross Ontario.

The roads were fair to good most of this stretch, except for 18 km of construction starting at the Ontario border. A lot of the road had been stripped down to a waffle pattern makig for such nasty vibration that I am now speaking with a stutter. Then the flag man sent me down a dirt section right behind the watering truck, making for a nice mud bath. Good for the complexion but not the bike.

Today's ride is dedicated to my cousin Bob Duguay who is facing a much bigger challenge than this. In comparison this is a piece of cake. Get well, Bob.

A totally Bixi day.

Today's distance: 214.9 km.
Average speed: 23.6
Trip distance to date: 805.1 km.

2 comments:

  1. Wayne!

    Kenora is beautiful! You look amazing in that jersey!

    I hope I get a chance to ride with you this summer. If not, an ice cold beer will be in order when you get back.

    Kyle Braatz and the rest of the Typically Canadian Crew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kyle, credit Big Al for that photo.

    ReplyDelete