Saturday, June 27, 2009

Day 7 Kenora to Dryden, Ont


Sorry about the late posting; unfortunately Rogers network does not work in Dryden so I am doing this from a motel computer. If I am having signal problems here I expect more difficulties along the route so don't worry if my blogs are not appearing every day.

Day 7 was by far my most enjoyable. The scenery along the way was spectacular and the roadway was as close to perfect as you will find: a 10 foot wide smooth, paved shoulder all the way. I had to get reacquainted with hill climbing and to deal with a light headwind but it was pleasant riding from start to finish.

This day was one of my best ever in terms of nature watching. I left Kenora at the crack of dawn and pulled over for a breakfast break about 20 km. out of town. I was sitting on a rock outcrop enjoying a Tim's bran/raspberry muffin when a magnificent timber wolf stepped out from the bushes about 50 feet away from me back down the road. He was totally unaware of my presence because he was keeping an eye on a big rig coming up the road towards us. This is the first wolf I have ever seen in the wild. He sidled along the road towards me and then crossed right in front of me, just a few feet away. This is a moment that will stick with me forever because right then and there I realized that I should have bought a second muffin; man was it delicious! I pondered that muffin all the way to Dryden so let this wolf story be a lesson to you - when a muffin opportunity comes your way don't ever pass it up.

Not far from there I came across a young deer standing on the grass close to the road. I got off my bike to take a picture and he approached me as if he was already imprinted by humans and wanted some food. Unfortunately he took off when he realized I had no food because STUPID ONLY BOUGHT 1 MUFFIN...

Other wildlife included a new form of road CARnage, painted turtles, probably due to the roads being built right at the edge of some of the lakes. The bird life here is fantastic. The sounds are now a lot more familiar to me, with the calls of the eastern birds like white-throated sparrow, red-eyed vireo and the winter wrens replacing the calls of the western birds like yellow-headed blackbirds, western meadowlarks, and marsh wrens. Over the last 2 days I have seen bald eagles, red-tailed and broad winged hawks, a merlin (falcon), plenty of turkey vultures and lots of loons. To me, being out in the wilderness is anything but boring.

It looks like the string of good biking weather is coming to an end. After 7 consecutive days of favourable conditions the forecast is for heavy rain for at least a day and cooler temperatures for the better part of next week, so it looks like I am going to hang out in Dryden for a rest break.

Day 7's ride was dedicated to everybody who has figured out that money cannot buy happiness. It is too bad that Michael Jackson never figured that one out - may he rest in peace.

Day 7 distance: 135.5 km.
Average speed: 20.7
Trip distance to date: 940.6

1 comment:

  1. The wolf and deer just wanted to roll up your rim!

    ReplyDelete