Friday, June 12, 2009

My Health and Safety Plan

When I tell people about my trip they commonly ask “isn't that dangerous?” to which my standard comeback is – well, do you know what’s really dangerous? Sitting on the couch, watching TV and eating chips, that’s what’s dangerous. It might not kill you right away but slowly, but surely, it will get you. Bicycling, on the other hand, makes you real healthy… provided you don’t end up as road kill, and this is the part I take very seriously. Given safety is my line of business I thought I would present you my health and safety game plan.

Choice of route Some routes are safer than others. Ideally there would be separate bike paths to take you everywhere but that is next to impossible once you get away from major centers like Montreal, so there is little choice but to ride the highways. Autoroutes are off-limits to bikes but we have every right to use the highways; unfortunately most drivers don’t know that so I never assume that drivers are going to give me a safe berth.

The ideal highway would have a clean, smooth, paved shoulder, very little traffic and would of course be all downhill and totally downwind. Yeah right. In many parts of Canada there is little choice of what highway to use and is why most cross-Canada cyclists go Trans Canada all the way. The advantage of the TC is that it is well-traveled and cell phone signals are available along most of the route so help is never too far away. The TC also presents the most opportunities for accommodations, an important factor for me since I am travelling light which means no camping. The down sides are that the TC can be very busy and there are sections in Manitoba and Ontario without a paved shoulder.

Timing Early is the operative word. Early morning is the best time to beat traffic, to get through major cities and to get by the difficult sections of the road. My plan is to get on the road as early as possible and to get off by mid-day, unless I am on a roll or I can’t stop due to the lack of accommodations.

Rear-view mirror. For me this is the most important safety device on the open road. I use one on my left handlebar which allows me to keep a close eye on what is coming behind me and determine if they are going to swing wide enough to pass safely. If not, I am not ashamed to bail out and pull over onto the shoulder. The situation to watch out for most is when there is approaching traffic and no room for the vehicles behind to swing into the next lane – another time to bail out. The rear-view also lets me spot wide loads, trailers, etc. that might drive onto the shoulder.

Helmet. I have been wearing a helmet since long before it was considered cool. It’s a no-brainer.

Equipment. Having good equipment reduces the risk of failure on the open road. A check-up and a tune-up just prior to the trip is essential, as are a new set of tires. The tires I use are called “Armadillos” as they have extra rubber for puncture resistance – the ones I installed last summer are still puncture-free at 3500 km.

Ergonomics. Comfort is the key to long distance riding. Cyclists usually get sore before they get tired. The key to success is to have a bike that is suited for your body and so well adjusted that you get tired before you get sore; that’s when you can really train and log the miles. A well adjusted bike also reduces the chance of stress injuries that can put a damper on bike trip.

Training. Conditioning has to be developed before the trip. A trip like this is tiring but if you are excessively tired you are at risk of making bad decisions and putting yourself into dangerous situations. I spun in the gym all winter and began road training in early April (brrr!).

Weather. On a cross country tour, I expect the weather to challenge me but I do not plan to challenge the weather. I am prepared to deal with some degree of rain, heat, old, sun, and headwind but the mistake I plan to avoid is messing with Mother Nature so if conditions are extreme I won’t hesitate to take a break. With any luck the stormy days will correspond with the days when I am due for some rest.

Sun Exposure. I will be outside every day it is sunny so I can’t completely avoid exposure, but I can minimize it by travelling early and avoiding the high noon sun, wearing UV shades, a sun visor, UV-rated shirts and applying nanoparticles (sunscreen).

Insects. I will be passing through Manitoba, the mosquito capital of the world so I will indeed bring my DEET. As part of my training I have been riding through the insect clouds on the Seaway Canal trail, where you have to smile in order to filter out the bugs and not inhale them. From that experience I have learned not to use greasy sunscreen when it is buggy otherwise you start to look like the creature from the dark lagoon.
.
Nutrition. On a trip like this overeating is seldom a problem. I will eat as much and as often as I like and probably still lose weight. I still have to be careful about what I eat to stay “regular” but I don’t have to worry about the calorie count. How cool is that!

Hydration. I have 2 cages for water bottles for those hot days and I make it a habit to hydrate well before leaving in the morning.

Pace. Maintaining a sustainable pace is key to beaing able to ride day after day. While I can’t maintain the same pace as I did in my 20’s I am more tuned in to what my limits are and I find myself better able to find that right pace that I can maintain for long periods.

Road rage. Don’t indulge in it. On a bike out on the highway you are fully exposed and unable to outmuscle or outrun a car. For safety sake - keep your middle finger aligned with the rest of your fingers and your profanities in your head. If someone does something outrageous, try and note the license number and report them to the police.

Maintaining Contact. I will be in daily contact by way of e-mail, blog and phone and thanks to this modern technology I have access to emergency assistance along the way. I may be going to some remote areas but I will never really be alone.

Wildlife. No worries about moose, bear and other wilderness animals ever since they signed a peace treaty with cyclists back in the 60’s, but dogs are another story. Dogs have it in for cyclists, maybe it’s the mesmerizing effect of the wheels or the fact that bikes go away when you bark at them. There are several options for dealing with dogs and not a whole lot of time to size up the dog and decide on the best course of action. My preferred action is to run as I can outrun most dogs but if things get out of hand there is a section in Richard's Bicycle Book that is essential reading for cross-country cyclists.

Terrorism. Obviously this is my biggest worry. It is a well-known fact that Osama Bin Laden and his cronies are in a cave in Pakistan plotting a surprise attack of the sort that nobody will expect. After years of deliberations they have figured out that the best way to take us by surprise is to go after some random guy riding his bicycle in Northern Canada. This is so obvious when you think about it. But don't worry I have a plan to deal with those nasty terrorists - I will assault them with shaving cream. Apparently they are really afraid of shaving.

3 comments:

  1. Wayne

    Thanks for sending me an email about this, I had no idea!

    About road rage: I seem to remember a time when you indulged... glad that time is past.

    I'll be following electronically. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaving cream... that's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing well ... keep it up!

    ReplyDelete