Saturday, June 27, 2009

Day 8 - Rest Day in Dryden


Today is a wash-out in the town of Dryden. This logging town of app. 7000 people is struggling big-time as their gigantic Domtar pulp mill has been closed since April and there aren't too many other jobs around. This probably explains why I didn't see any pulp trucks on my ride from Kenora.

My timing was unbelievable - I arrived just in time for the annual Dryden Moose Fest and today was their big (first annual) soap box derby. They had almost 25 entries and there must have been nearly 200 fans on King street taking in the event; this town hasn't seen this much excitement in years. I thought I would be bummed out missing the 30th annual Montreal jazz fest, but this festival is really something. I understand that on July 1st they are even going to launch a firework.

The weather forecast for tomorrow is again sketchy - hoping to make a break for Upsala because although it remains wet, the winds are blowing in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment