Sunday, July 5, 2009

Day 16 White River to Wawa Ontario


Today's ride is dedicated to George Harrison for naming a song after this fine town, Wawa in the wilderness of Lake Superior forest. Today was another pleasure ride as I had to choose between 93 km. and 250+ so thanks to a good sailwind (our new word for today) the first 70 km., I was in Wawa in time for breakfast. The weather was mainly sunny and just cool enough to make me want to work. Now I have all day to rest up for tomorrow's onslaught where I have to go at least 150 km. to get to the next accommodations. Apparently there will be some good climbs and a chance of rain. Given how wet it has been back east, I have gotten off lucky avoiding any rain for the past 4 rides in a row.

My odometer conked out for part of this morning's ride so my numbers might be just a tad off.

Yesterday was the start of the Tour de France so I decided that the Tour de Procrastination needed a higher profile so today I wore the yellow jersey. That's the nice thing about a one-man tour - I can wear the yellow jersey as many stages as I please.

No interesting mammals to report today but lots of loons and 1, maybe 2, bald eagles. And a HUGE goose at the gateway to Wawa, apparently the world's largest.

Still no Rogers signal in these parts; the only place where I picked up a signal in Ontario was in Thunder Bay. Not impressed.

Happy birthday Madeleine. I love and miss you.

Today's ride: 93 km.
Average speed: unknown due to odometer failure, but it was faster than most days
Trip distance to date: 1787 km.

3 comments:

  1. Way to go Wayne, I am cheering for you. Just love to read your blog ...

    Claude

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Claude, I am having just as much fun writing it. What a great country we live in; every part of it has its own quirks and qualities. In Dryden I heard someone greet a friend with "How she going?", an expression I have only ever heard in northern New Brunswick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that where they invented the guitar pedal too? Wawa...

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete