Thursday, July 9, 2009

Day 20 Bruce Mines to Webbwood Ontario


The first few hours I made zero progress but then I woke up, gathered my stuff, got on my bike, headed out on the road and my situation improved.

There was a moderate headwind but with the rolling hills and the windbreak provided by the forest it wasn't much of a factor. Today was the first real summery day where it got hot enough to have to intake lots of liquids.

I heard a new sound today - the sound of my spandex flapping in the breeze. I guess a little weight loss is to be expected after 3 weeks of riding a bike.

I met a lot of cyclists today: Justin and Jenna, a young couple from Ontario, riding from Victoria to Halifax, Monty another Ontarioan doing a ride around the Great lakes, Garth from Calgary, who started in Halifax, rode to St. Johns and now is riding all the way back to Calgary, and finally Dan, a Scandinavian who started in TO and is headed to Alaska. Needless to say, unlike me, none of them were getting senior's discounts on this trip.

Today's ride is dedicated to another rider I met in Thunder Bay and then again in Marathon. He is doing a cross country ride to raise awareness about mental illness. He got into this because his daughter was a talented bright girl until she ran into some bipolar problems at the age of 16 and everything changed. She is participating in the ride too - she does about 20 km. A day. Len's wife Carol drives the support vehicle. http://www.therideformentalhealth.org/

Like yesterday I chose to get off the road because the traffic was getting to me. Such a busy highway requires constant concentration so I found myself mentally tired before getting physically tired. As for my legs, they felt like they could spin forever.

Tomorrow's ride will be shorter as I am planning a stopover at the home of my cousin Claudette O'Neill. Looking forward to seeing her and doing some laundry. Maybe I can shrink that spandex.

Today's ride: 157.4 km.
Average speed: 21.4
Trip Distance to date: 2235.4 km

No comments:

Post a Comment