Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Day 19 Batchawana Bay to Bruce Mines, Ontario


Another sunrise departure, this time into the fog. The first leg of today's ride up to Sault Sainte Marie, aka the Soo, was still quite unspoiled and challenging to ride, thanks to One Mile Hill just before the Soo. Somewhere around there was the 2000 km. mark of the trip so I celebrated with some chocolate fudge.



At the Soo, just where Hwy 17 turns east I came across a good bike shop called Velorution just at opening time and they trued my front wheel and adjusted the brake for me. I really appreciated that pit stop so today's ride is dedicated to all those small business owners who deliver good service. I have come across some great Innkeepers, including Frank, owner of the Voyageur Lodge where I stayed last night.



After the Soo the riding completely changed - the weather became sunny, the terrain flatter, the road crummy, and the traffic heavy. I got a bit of a break by taking old Hwy 17B through 2 Indian reserves but after that it got a bit hairy. I had enough gas in the tank to go further but not the patience to deal with the traffic. Better to tackle that in the early morning.



Today's ride 130 km.

Average speed 22.1

Trip distance to date: 2077.4 km.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on passing the 2kkm mark. Hope you finally get a Rogers signal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like a good bakeshop. How were the buttered scones?

    ReplyDelete