Monday, July 13, 2009

Day 24 Mattawa to Deep River, Ontario


There are 3 varieties of music in these parts: there's country, then there's western and then you have country and western.

I was expecting to continue to sail along like yesterday but I did anything but. The terrain changed from flat to hilly as soon as I left Mattawa. There weren't any hills bigger than what I had done previously but there were a good 25 climbs and some of them quite steep (6 % gradient). There weren't all that many flat sections to take advantage of the tailwinds so it was hard work most of the way and by 10:00 the legs were feeling their age and by noon the rest of the body was too. That's when the safety plan cut in and I decided to call it a day. A good call it was, because shortly after I checked in it poured rain for the rest of the afternoon.

Whoever coined the phrase "it's a small world" obviously never tried to cross Canada on a bicycle. Ontario alone is nearly 2000 km. across. Fortunately with only 200 or so km. to go the end is in sight and it looks like the Tour de Procrastination will wind up in Ottawa on Wednesday - unless I put it off.

The image above is what happens the gravel from the shoulder spills over onto the pavement.

Today's ride was dedicated to the memory of my all-time favorite teacher, Dr. Ron Westbury who believed in me at a time when I was unable to believe in myself. I will be eternally grateful.

Today's trip: 105 km.

Average speed: 20.5

Trip distance to date: 2606.3 km.

No comments:

Post a Comment