Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Day 26 Deep River to Arnprior, Ontario


I woke up feeling considerably better but I left atomic energy land cautiously, not knowing if my own energy levels were back to normal. At the 20 km. mark I had a good rythym going and cranked it up a notch,then I picked up the pace again at the 50 km. mark and the rest of the way was a no-chain day i.e. the pedalling was so easy it felt like I had no chain.
The terrain was flat and the wind negligible but the traffic was heavy from the get go. Fortunately back roads are an option in these parts so after Pembroke I took road #'s 7, then 4 and finally #1 along the Ottawa river. What a good decision that was - the roads were quiet, scenic and in decent shape. It cost me a bit of distance, especially a long detour I didn't expect, but I didn't really mind because I was coming to grips with the fact that the trip is winding down and I wanted to make it last. Today was one of the few real summer-like days of the trip and I really enjoyed not being cold. By the time I got off the road and checked in to the Arnprior Motor Inn (without a motor) the temperature was up around 30.

Today's ride was dedicated to my trusty old peleton, consisting of me, myself and I. Throughout the trip the peleton has worked in total harmony, with none of us ever getting ahead or falling back, always riding at the right pace, never touching a wheel, attacking at the right moments, sharing the same mindset, and always keeping the ultimate goal in mind - Ottawa.

Tomorrow will be my equivalent of the Champs de Lysee stage of the Tour de France - a relaxing ride into the capitol. Being the Tour de Procrastination the champagne will have to wait till later. That I will have tomorrow evening with Madeleine who is meeting me to celebrate our anniversary, her birthday, and the end of the Tour.

Some time tomorrow morning or mid day the Tour will officially end on the lawn of the House of Parliament with the customary photos and interviews - what a perfect place to commemorate procrastination!

Today's ride: 146 km.
Average speed: 23.5 km.
Trip distance to date: 2752.3 km.

2 comments: