Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Day 18 Wawa to Batchawana Bay Ontario


I was determined to get out of town come hell or high Wawa so I hit the road at sunrise. I was a bit apprehensive because of the weather (it rained all night) and because of the distance I had to cover. This was by far my longest portage - it was 100 km. from Wawa to the other side of lake Superior Provincial Park and another thirty some km. before the first motel or restaurant.

In the end my day turned out fine - not a drop of rain and a decent tailwind to help me through some difficult climbs. I would rank this day as #2 in terms of energy spent, with #1 being the ride from Thunder Bay to Rossport.

The highlight for the day was a bull moose I saw about 30 km. south of Wawa. He stayed still long enough for me to take his picture but it turned out blurry.

Today's ride is dedicated to ANYBODY BUT ROGERS, because I have not picked up a signal since all the way from Thunder Bay. If I had to do this over again I would have invested in an i-Touch, since all the motels offer wireless. Live and learn.

Today's trip: 155 km.
Average speed; 21.6
Trip distance to date: 1946.9 km.

3 comments:

  1. I know that at a minimum, one should expect a signal along this route but think of it, to be covered coast to coast by cell phone, you would be seeing people, not trees, not wilderness. Keep it up.

    Claude

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, unless I'm wrong, i-Touch is exclusively available with Rogers...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes but the i-touch can use any wireless network available.

    ReplyDelete