Thursday, July 16, 2009

Day 27 Arnprior to Ottawa.

Mission accomplished. Today's ride was a combination of excitement to finish, desire to prolongue, and downright good sensations and, yes, I am still talking about biking.

It rained most of the night but started getting nice as soon as I got in the saddle for my final stage. Overall in this trip I really lucked out with the weather, considering how unpleasant it has been across the country, because it hasn't impeded my trip all that much. It seems most of the foul weather has happened at night or in late afternoon when I am usually already off of the road or on days when I needed the rest anyway.

I stuck with the back roads (#1 to #22 to #5) which were calm and scenic all the way to Carp. In Carp I paid a surprise visit to my colleagues Lydia, Michel and Todd in WESA Inc for coffee, directions, conversation and a photo-op. Not far after that I connected to the green belt bike trail which led directly to Parliament Hill, a really nice way to wind up the trip because after nearly 4 weeks of dueling with the traffic on the TC highway it was time for SERENITY NOW!

Today's final stage was dedicated to you. Yes, you. My official followers, my unofficial followers, those who read my blogs, those who followed me on Facebook, those who read my tweets, who posted comments, who sent me e-mail, and those who phoned me. Also those total strangers who took an interest in my trip and all of you who made the effort to humour me and pretend to be interested in my trip.

I did not do this to gain personal attention but I would be lying if I did not admit that knowing that other people were deriving fun from my adventure gave me a lot of added motivation. Thanks to you all.

Today's stats and more:

Today's ride: 76.7 km.
Average speed: 20.2
Final trip distance: 2839 km.

# of flats: 0
# of mechanical problems: 0
# of difficult car drivers: 2 (Sudbury)
# of difficult truck drivers: 1 (east of Mattawa)
# of muffins consumed: A lot. That's anybody's guess
# of rest days: 5
# of days I got wet: 1 (Upsala to Thunder Bay)
# of riding days: 20 full and 2 half days = 21
Average distance per day: 135.2
Liters of gasoline purchased: 0

7 comments:

  1. Wayne,

    What a challenge it was, and this will be something you will never forget. Great memories to charish.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulation Wayne. Iam going to miss the blog ... any chance you will write about your workday every day from now on? just kidding. Well done.

    Claude

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Claude is onto a great idea, but instead of writing ... how about a "Wayne Reality Show." I'm sure Mad & the girls would be thrilled having cameras follow them around throughout their day to day activities. Hey I'd watch it!

    Cuzin Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Job Wayne! Well done.

    Now what's for next year, Nunavut to Miami?

    See you soon!

    Christian

    ReplyDelete
  5. After this I will do smaller countries.

    W.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Wayne, what a great ride!

    I prefer you write about Madeleine and the girls, not about work it would include too many swear words!

    Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

    ReplyDelete